21st day of Advent
Ingredients – Predough:
- 400g wheat flour type 700
- 300g milk 35°C
- 40g yeast
- + a pinch of sugar
Mix ingredients and let rise 60 minutes.
Ingredients – Main Dough:
- 740g mature predough
- 600g wheat flour type 700
- 100g milk
- 120g soft butter
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100g eggs (2)
- 100g egg yolks (5)
- 10g salt
- + lemon and orange zest
- Knead ingredients until you have a smooth, soft dough.
- Mixing time: 5 minutes slowly / kneading time: 8-9 minutes quickly.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, divide it into pieces weighing 80-90g each and shape into rounds. Place the dough balls seamside-down on a floured cloth, leaving plenty of space between them (see photo gallery).
- Cover the dough pieces with a cloth to keep a skin from forming on their surface.
- As soon as the dough balls’ volume has increased by 2/3, they can be shaped into the Farmer’s Krapfen. Do this by using your fingers to press down in the center of the dough and then stretch the pieces slightly as needed to adjust the shape.
- The pieces are then once again laid onto the floured cloth and left to proof.
- While the krapfen are proofing, heat the fat for frying.
- Temperature of the frying fat: 170-180°C
- After the pieces have proofed, place the krapfen TOP-SIDE down in the hot fat. Once they have turned golden brown, use a fork or a cooking spoon to flip the pieces over in the pan. Once the BOTTOM SIDE has also begun to color nicely, flip the pieces again. Fry the top side again quickly before removing the krapfen from the pan and letting them drain.
- Finally, using a sieve, sprinkle powdered sugar on the krapfen and fill the center with marmalade.