Max and Moritz
20th day of Advent
Ingredients for the brioche dough:
- 500g wheat flour
- 200g milk
- 100g butter
- 50g egg (1)
- 20g yolk (1)
- 60g brown sugar
- 15g yeast
- 5g salt
- + lemon and orange zest
- Warm the milk to 30-35°C, mix it with the yeast and half of the wheat flour, and let it rise for 60 minutes.
- Then mix it with the rest of the ingredients and knead into a dough (5 minutes slowly and 5 minutes quickly).
- After mixing, let the dough rise for 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough into smaller pieces, each weighing 95 g (10 pieces).
- Shape these by rolling under the palm of your head into small rounds, cover them and let them sit a further 30 minutes.
300g nut filling: See recipe here
300g poppy seed filling: See recipe here
- After the pieces of dough have rested, they are rolled out into thin oval sheets (10 x 20cm)
- Spread one of the fillings in the center on each piece of dough from top to bottom (5x nut, 5x poppy seed)
- Then seal the dough around the filling like an envelope and roll it out into a long baton-like form (make the ends thinner!!).
- Then wind one nut and one poppy seed dough baton around each other to form a spindle-like shape.
- Place each spindle piece on a baking sheet with plenty of space between them.
- Coat the pieces with egg and sprinkle them with shaved almonds.
- Bake the Max and Moritz at 180°C / 20 minutes.