Poppy Seed Cake
5th day of Advent
- 200g butter
- 60g powdered sugar
- 13g vanilla sugar
- 2g salt
- + lemon zest from half a lemon
- 160g egg yolks (8)
- 240g egg whites (8)
- 160g granulated sugar
- 250g ground grey poppy seed
- 160g almond meal
- Mix butter with powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, lemon zest and salt until creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolks, one after the other.
- Separately, beat the egg whites with sugar until it stiffens and forms peaks.
- Finally, mix both sets of ingredients together and then carefully blend in the grounded poppyseed and almond meal.
- Fill a muffin tin or a springform pan (diameter 27 cm x 6cm) with the blended mixture.
- Bake the poppy seed mixture at 180C°.
- Baking time for the muffins: 17-20 minutes
- Baking time for the cake: 45-50 minutes
After letting the muffins cool, brush the muffins with hot currant marmalade and a sugar glaze.
Chocolate glaze ingredients:
- 150g high quality dark chocolate (65% cocoa e.g. Maracaibo Clasificado)
- 130g granulated sugar
- 70g water
Chocolate glaze instructions:
- Heat the sugar in the water until it boils.
- Mix in the chocolate and using an immersion blender, mix everything until the glaze is shiny and it has achieved a homogeneous consistency.
- Let the chocolate glaze cool to c. 50°C and then use it to glaze the muffins.