Ruch Bread with Seed Mixture
The deeply browned and cracked crust of this bread creation fills the kitchen with only the rich aroma that can arise from baking bread. The aroma lingers for hours after baking.
The whole, un-sliced loaf feels light and airy in the hand and cutting it reveals how true that is! The nutty aroma of chopped nuts goes well will the roasted flax and sesame- but the Ruch flour itself brings so much flavor on its own that this bread has become a real hit.
For a dough weight of 2162g / 3 pieces, each 720g
|100g||Wheat flour 550/700||100%|
Dissolve the refreshed starter in warm water (40°C) and mix with the wheat flour until lump-free. Then let it mature for 5-6 hours at 25-27°C.
|30g||Roasted flax seeds||21%|
|30g||Roasted sesame seeds||21%|
|45g||Toasted & finely ground bread crumbs||31%|
Pour the hot water over the seeds and bread crumbs and let soak for 3-4 hours.
|100g||Whole grain wheat flour||11%|
|50g||Whole grain rye flour||6%|
- Mix the wheat, rye, and ruch flours with water into an autolyze dough. Cover and let hydrate for 45-60 minutes.
- Then add the sourdough, scald, and salt then mix for 10 minutes on slow speed. Just as the dough has released from the side of the mixing bowl, mix it on fast speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Then place the dough in an oiled dough tub.
- Fold after 60 and 120 minutes.
- Bulk ferment for 150 minutes (the dough should increase in volume by 50%!!)
- Divide the dough into the desired sizes and fold from all four sides into the middle. Let the dough relax for 15 minutes with the seam-side down.
- To form, turn the dough over and fold in the left and right sides. Then tightly roll the dough up from top to bottom.
- Place into floured proofing baskets with the seam-side down and then give it a cold rise at 4°C.
- Fermentation time of 12-18 hours (the longer the doughs ferment, the more flavor they will develop)
- Bake the loaves with ample steam in a preheated oven at 250°C reduced when baking to 235°C.
- Baking time approx. 35 minutes
- To strengthen the crust development, the steam can be let out for 1-2 minutes after half of the baking time.