In the whole grain aisle, the toast should not be missing, but not just one to carry a spread! The first attempts to make a toast bread out of pure wholegrains were not exactly great. The treat came with a combination of a seed soaker and water roux, this also had the benefit of increasing the nutritional value at the same time.
for a dough weight of 2185g
|500g||Wholegrain wheat flour||50%|
|300g||Wholegrain spelt flour||30%|
|100g||Wheat flour Type 700/550||10%|
|70g||Wholegrain rye flour||7%|
|30g||Rye flour Type 960/997||3%|
|70g||Toasted sunflower seeds||7%|
|70g||Toasted sesame seeds||7%|
|70g||Wholegrain rye flour|
Dissolve the starter in water and mix in the flour until lump-free. Then allow to mature for 8-12 hours at room temperature.
|70g||Toasted sunflower seeds|
|70g||Toasted sesame seeds|
Mix together then cover and let soak at room temperature for 10-12 hours.
|30g||Rye flour Type 960/997|
Dissolve the flour in the water and then heat to approx. 85-90°C. After heating, cover and store in the refrigerator.
|185g||Mature wholegrain rye sourdough|
|500g||Wholegrain wheat flour|
|300g||Wholegrain spelt flour|
|100g||Wheat flour Type 700/550|
(hold back some of the water!!)
- Place all ingredients (hold back 20% of the water) in the mixer and mix on slow for 6 minutes. Only at the end of the initial mixing phase is the additional water added to correct the firmness.
- Then knead on fast speed until the dough has completely released from the side of the bowl (about 6-7 minutes). Due to the high hydration the dough can be shiny on the surface, this should not be confused with an under mixing!
- Then put it in a dough tub and fold one time after 40 minutes.
- After folding let the dough mature for another 60 minutes.
- To work up, divide the dough, form and place in an oiled toast pan. The dough fill should be adjusted to the selected pan. This should be about 10-15% higher with wholegrain breads- whole grain flours lead to a lower volume!
- The set aside to proof- approx. 50-60 minutes at room temperature.
- The toast is baked at 255°C reduced to 235°C
- Bake time about 40-45 minutes