Not a crumb will be left over from this small hearty bread, as it’s the perfect loaf for the breakfast buffet. The recipe is divided timewise so that all the predough must be made in the morning if you want to knead the main dough in the evening.
After shaping, the loaves simply get a cold proof in the fridge at 4°C. To be ready in time for breakfast, the Wheat Crust goes directly from the fridge into the oven.
For a dough weight of 1550g / 2 pieces, each 775g
Whole grain rye sourdough:
- 75g whole grain rye flour
- 75g water 35°C
- 10g rye started
Mix all the ingredients and let mature for 12 hours at room temperature.
- 110g milk (direct from the refrigerator )
- 75g Whole grain einkorn flour
- 1g yeast
Mix all the ingredients and let it rise for 12 hours at room temperature.
- 110g Whole grain einkorn flour
- 170g milk
Mix the einkorn flour and milk and let it sit for 12 hours in the fridge at 4°C to absorb the liquid.
- 160g mature sourdough
- 186g mature predough
- 280g soaker
- 640g wheat flour type 700
- 245g water 10°C
- 22g salt
- 15g butter
- 2g yeast
- Mix all the ingredients slowly for 8 minutes and then knead quickly for 5 minutes (the dough should fall cleanly away from the side of the mixing bowl).
- After kneading, place the dough in an oiled tub and fold after 45 minutes.
- After another 45 minutes, divide the dough into two pieces of equal size and shape each into a ball by loosely folding them — do not roll them into rounds; just fold them and then let them rest seamside-down for 30 minutes.
- For the final shaping, flip the dough so it is seamside-up. Then, using light tension, fold the dough from its left and right sides into the middle. Finally, roll the dough with some tension from top to bottom .
- Place the dough seamside-down in a floured proofing basket and place in the fridge at 4°C for 8-10 hours (if the cold proofing time is extended to 18 hours, the amount of yeast used should be halved!)
- Bake the bread in an oven that has been preheated to 250°C and has strong steam. After 10 minutes, lower the temperature to 230°C. Total baking time c. 35 minutes.
- For a strong crust, release the steam from the oven after half the baking time is up.