The Samareiner have been on the wish list of many reader for a long time! They are a small roll that we offer daily from the bakery.
Before mixing the main dough, a seed scald is made. Coarse rye meal, spelt flakes, flax seeds, roasted sunflower seeds are mixed to a hydration (TA) of 200 and heated at 85°C for 30 minutes. Through the method the rolls take on an intense taste, a beautiful crust coloration, and a higher water absorption which helps them to keep fresh.
Of course the seeds can be changed on a whim, for example: rolled oats, rye flakes, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cracked soy,…
For a dough weight of 2309g / 26 pieces, each 90g of dough
|1000g||Wheat flour Type 550/700||100%|
|100g||Rye meal, coarse||10%|
|20g||Dark roasted malt||2%|
|Sunflower seeds and sesame/poppy seed mixture to coat|
|100g||Rye meal, coarse|
Using the all-in method, heat to 85°C and keep at constant heat for about 30 minutes. 5g of active malt lends and even more intense flavor!
Then store in the refrigerator, covered until ready to use (keeps 4-5 days in the refrigerator). This mixture is suitable to use in various wheat or rye doughs.
My Tip: Simply dough the seed scald amount and then mix some into your favorite bread recipe.
|1000g||Wheat flour Type 550/700|
|c.350g – 400g||Water(the water amount can vary depending on the absorption of the seed scald!!)|
|20g||Dark roasted malt(optional)|
- Mix all the ingredients for 6 minutes on slow speed. Then knead on a fast speed for 5-6 minutes. The dough should be taut and well kneaded.!
- Then place the dough in a lightly oiled tub and let it rest for 40 minutes.
- After a short rest, fold the dough and then let it rest another 20-25 minutes.
- To work up, turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and form it into a square- then with a rolling pin, roll it out to a thickness of 2cm. Make sure that the dough stays in a square/rectangular shape!
- Brush the rolled out dough with water and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Then flip the dough over so that sunflower seeds are on the under side.
- Use a pizza cutter to divide the dough into the desired sizes.
- Brush the surface once again with water and dunk the dough pieces into a decorative seed mixture (poppy seed, sesame, …)
- Place onto a baking tray with the sunflower seed side on the bottom- score the tops 2x.
- Final proof of about 45-60 minutes.
- The Samareiner are baked in a preheated oven at 250°C with strong steam.
- Reduce the baking temperature to 235°C after adding the steam.
- Baking time about 16-17 minutes.