Swiss Waadtland Bread
For those that are familiar with Swiss breads, this cross-bread will likely be known. This bread has been on my to-do list for awhile, but the crumb on the original didn’t appeal to me and so I came up with a modified recipe. I have kept the production and shaping as easy as possible- the pre-dough can be either a wheat sourdough (Lievito Madre) or a yeasted pre-dough (poolish).
You have to decide whether it does justice to the original, but in taste and looks this bread was a palate pleaser.
For a dough weight of 1763 / 3 pieces, each 588g of dough
|1000g||Wheat flour 550/700||100%|
Recipe with poolish
|300g||Wheat flour Type 550/700|
Completely dissolve the yeast in water and stir in the wheat flour until lump-free. Then let it rise fro 10-12 hours at room temperature. Then store it in the refrigerator at 4°C for a further 6-36 hours.
Main dough with poolish
|700g||Wheat flour Type 550/700|
Recipe with Lievito Madre
|200g||Wheat flour Type 550 / 700|
|75g||Starter (Lievito Madre)|
Mix all ingredients until lump-free and allow to mature at room temperature for 4-5 hours.
Main dough with Lievito Madre
|750g||Wheat flour Type 550 / 700|
|375g||Mature Lievito Madre|
|50g||Lard / Butter|
|3g||Yeast (not required with a very active LM!!)|
- Mix the wheat flour, pre-dough (Lievito Madre or Poolish), and water for 2 minutes on slow in the kneading machine. Then cover the autolyse dough and allow to hydrate for 45 minutes.
- After the autolyse add the salt, yeast, and malt and mix slowly for 7 minutes. Just as the dough releases from the side of the mixing bowl the lard/butter is added and quickly kneaded.
- The dough must fully release from the side of the mixing bowl.
- After making the dough place it in an oiled dough tub.
- After 45 minutes, fold the dough and allow to rise for a further 60 minutes.
- After the second rise, divide the dough into 3 equal-sized pices and loosely form into round loaves. Place on a floured work surface with the seam-side down.
- Cover with plastic or a linen cloth and allow to relax for 30 minutes.
- To shape, dust the loaves with flour and using a thin rolling pin (cooking spoon…) press into the dough to form a cross and let it rest again for 30-45 minutes Zur Formgebung den Teigling mit Mehl bestauben und mit einem dünnen Rollholz (Kochlöffel,…) über das Kreuz abdrücken und nochmals ca. 30-45 Minuten ruhen lassen (Place upside down on a linen cloth or proofing basket).
- The breads are baked in a preheated oven at 250°C with strong steam.
- After an initial baking time of 5 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 210°C.
- Total bake time of about 30-35 minutes.