This recipe for “Pane Rustico” is based on a baguette dough that, through the addition of a seed soaker, is enhanced in flavor and appearance. The seeds used in the seed soaker can be individually customized. You can use toasted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame, coarse meal or even sprouted grains for the soaker.
The following recipes can all be used as the base dough:
One of these recipes is used as the base dough. To which a soaker is added in the amount of 300g per 1000g of dough. Be sure that all of the water has been absorbed in the soaker. If not, be sure to drain off any excess and only add additional water if needed.
for 1500g of baguette dough & about 450g of soaker
|Spelt or Rye flakes
(Wheat, Rye, or Spelt)
|Dried and finely ground breadcrumbs
|Rye malt powder
- Allow the seed soaker to steep for 5-6 hours (exchange any of the seeds as desired).
- Prepare the baguette dough according to the selected instructions. After the resulting dough is made, knead in the seed soaker by mixing quickly for an additional 2-3 minutes. If the dough is too firm, add a bit of water.
- After mixing the dough, place it in an oiled tub and fold it after 30/60 minutes.
- Then the dough matures for a further 90-120 minutes at room temperature.
- Once the dough has increased in volume by 50%, it can be tipped out onto a floured work surface. Finally, long strands of dough are cut and then twisted two times then placed in a linen cloth for the final proof.
- Final proof of about 45 minutes
- The dough pieces are baked at 250°C with steam.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 230°C and bake until well browned.
Total bake time for 250g pieces is about 25-30 minutes.