Walnut Loaf with Ruchmehl
This walnut bread is a hearty wheat bread that takes on a unique flavor from the toasted walnuts and ruchmehl. From the high hydration(TA) this bread carries a long shelf-life and it is an enrichment for every bread basket.
Walnuts soak up water from the dough as it matures, which leads to a firm and dense crumb. To play a trick on the walnuts, they are soaked in the bulk water before the dough is made. The walnuts are soaked about 1 hour before the dough is made. Only after the walnuts have absorbed enough water, you pour them into a sieve and let the excess water drain. The main dough is now mixed from this remaining amount of water.
Another advantage of soaking comes from the coloration of the bulk water. It takes on the color of the walnuts and supports the crumb coloration in the final dough.
For a dough weight of 2063g / 3 loaves, each 684g of dough
- 100g Semolina flour
- 150g Ruchmehl
- 250g Yeast water
DT: 28°C Maturity time: 8-10 hours
- 600g Water 60°C
- 180g Toasted walnuts
Soak and let stand for at least an hour. Then pour the walnuts into a sieve and allow to drain. The drained water is then used as the bulk water for the main dough.
- 500g Mature sourdough
- 700g Ruchmehl
- + Drained water from the soaked walnuts
Mix the wheat sourdough, ruchmehl, and residual water and let stand for 30-40 minutes to autolyze..
- 60g Honey
- 23g Salt
Add the honey and salt and mix slowly for 7 minutes. Then the dough is kneaded quickly until it completely releases from the side of the mixing bowl. Only after the dough is fully kneaded are the walnuts slowly mixed in.
- After mixing the dough it matures in an oiled dough tub.
- Then the dough is folded after 60 and 120 minutes.
- Only after the dough has almost doubled in volume can it be worked up.
- Portion the dough into the desired sizes, and very loosely fold it together and place into a round proofing basket with the seam-side down.
- Once ⅔ proofed, turn out the dough and slide into the oven at 250°C with steam.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the oven to 230°C and bake until well browned. To strengthen the crust the steam is let out of the oven after half of the baking time.
- The total baking time should not be less than 35 minutes.