Ciabatta with Wheat Sourdough
To bake this wonderful ciabatta you need flour, water, salt and a little time. The dough is leavened by a wheat sourdough which is prepared in a 2-step process. This production method gives the ciabatta a mild and at the same time aromatic crumb.
In order to get a strong and active wheat sourdough, it has to be refreshed/fed before being prepared. The sourdough is refreshed with a hydration(TA) of 180-200 and this should take place at least 8-12 hours before the first sourdough stage at room temperature.
For a dough weight of 1824g / 6 pieces, each 304g
Wheat sourdough stage 1:
- 40g Starter
- 130g Wheat flour Type 700
- 130g Water 35-40°C
DT: 27-28°C maturity time: 8-10 hours TA: 200
Wheat sourdough stage 2:
- 300g Wheat sourdough (Stage 1)
- 150g Wheat flour Type 700
- 150g Water 35-40°C
DT: 28-30°C Maturity time: 5-6 hours TA: 200
- 600g Mature wheat sourdough
- 500g Water approx. 20°C
- 700g Tipo 0
- 25g Salt
Mixing time: 2 minutes slow + 30 minute autolyse + 10 minutes slow / 5-6 minutes fast
DT: 25-27°C TA: 180
- Mix the flour and water for 2 minutes slow and then cover and allow to autolyse.
- After the autolyse, the sourdough and salt are added and the dough is mixed for 10 minutes slowly.
- THen the dough is kneaded on a fast speed until it releases from the side of the mixing bowl.
- The dough is placed in an oiled tub to mature. It should be folded after 40 and 80 minutes. If the dough seems to have a weak stability at the beginning, it can be folded after 30,60 and 90 minutes.
- After a total dough maturity time of 150-180 minutes, the dough is separated into 300g pieces. If possible, try to separate the pieces as a whole.
- After separating, roll/form the dough into round cylinders and place in a linen cloth. In order to preserve the pores, the dough should be handled as little as possible!
- The fully proofed ciabatta are slid into the oven at 250°C with steam.
- After 5 minutes of baking time the oven can be turned down to 235°C.
- The total baking time for 300g dough pieces is about 25-30 minutes.