Krems Valley Bread
A bread with the pure taste of rye!
A dark loaf with aromatic sour notes, that is distinctly made from rye. The addition of dark rye and soaked leftover bread provide for the dark color and also the excellent shelf-life.
In combination with the well-baked crust, the mild-sour and tangy aroma that is so typical of rye bread develops.
For a dough weight of 1840g
Stage 1 – Foundatoin sour:
- 10g Starter
- 80g Rye flour Type 960
- 56g Water
Hydration(TA): 170 Maturity time: 15-24 hours DT: 23-27°C
Stage 2 – Full sour:
- 146g Mature foundation sour
- 160g Rye flour Type 960
- 204g Water
DT: 34°C Maturity time: 2,5 hours / DT: 30°C Matuity time: 3 hours / DT: 28°C Maturity time: 4 hours
The temperature of the sourdough determines the maturity time of the full sour!
- 10g Starter from rye sourdough (gives a unique flavor!)
- 70g Water
- 140g Wheat flour Type 700
Hydration(TA): 150 Maturity time: 18-24 hours DT: 32°C reduced to 22°C (room temperature)
- 30g Leftover bread
- 70g Water 25°C
Mix 1-2 hours before making the bread and let soak
- 510g Mature rye sourdough
- 220g Mature wheat sourdough
- 100g Bread soaker
- 400g Rye flour Type 960
- 100g Rye flour Type 2500
- 100g Wholegrain spelt or wheat flour Type 1600
- 380g Water 40-45°C
- 22g Salt
- 8g Yeast
- Optional Bread spice!
- Mix all ingredients slowly for 7 minutes and knead quickly for 1 minute.
- Cover and let mature for 20 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and place it seam-side down in a floured proofing basket (to get a smooth look, you can line the proofing basket with a tea towel). Sprinkle the proofing basket with fennel seed.
- Once half proofed (about 20-25 minutes) turn the dough out onto a floured baking peel.
- When the loaf is ¾ proofed (further 10-15 minutes), slide it into the preheated oven.
- Initially bake the loaf at 250°C / 7 minutes with light steam. After the desired crust cracking has been achieved, release the steam (3-4 minutes).
- Reduce the oven temperatur to 200°C and bake until well browned (total baking time of at least 70 minutes!).