This Toskana bread is a thing of beauty and brings me real joy to bake it. The ease of production, the brilliant taste, and the rustic character make this bread a real treat. For an even better shelf-life, I have worked in a semolina scald into the recipe. From a taste perspective, the low dosage of Lievito Madre -14% of the flour content – really underlines the mild taste.
For a dough weight of 1937g
|380g||Wheat flour Type 700/550||33%|
(320g Water & 120g Semolina)
(140g W700/550 & 70g Water)
(67,5% including soaker and LM)
- Pour the boiling water over the semolina, stir until lump-free, then cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
|140g||Wheat flour Type 550/700|
- Knead all of the ingredients in the mixer until a smooth dough forms. Then allow it to mature until it has doubled in volume (c 4-5 hours).
- Before proceeding to make the dough, remove 70g of the LM and store it in the refrigerator as a starter for future pre-dough preparations.
|380g||Wheat flour 550/700|
(Can also be increased depending on preference)
|210g||Mature Lievito Madre|
- Mix the flour, water, and scald on slow for 3 minutes and then cover and allow to autolyse for 45 minutes.
- After the autolyse, add the Lievito Madre, salt, and yeast and slowly mix for 7-8 minutes. Add water if needed!!
- Once the dough has released from the side of the bowl, it is mixer another minute at a fast speed.
- After making the dough, place it in a oiled dough tub.
- Fold after 40/80 minutes.
- After the 2 folds, the dough matures for a further 120 minutes at room temperature.
- Once the dough has increase in volume by 50% it can be worked further, though before moving forward the oven should be preheated to 250°C.
- To work up, tip the dough out onto a floured work surface, cut off the desired dough amount with a dough spatula and place it on baking paper. Take note not to cut off too small of an amount of dough (it is best just to divide it down the middle and shape as rectangular pieces).
- After dividing the dough, allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Slide into the over at 250°C with mild steam.
- Reduce the baking temperature to 220°C after 5 minutes and bake until well browned.
- Total baking time of about 40-45 minutes.