Finnish Bread with Sprouts
Finnenbrot or Finnish bread is well-known for its high content of whole grains and seeds. If such a high proportion of whole grain is used, why not just use sprouted grain? The milled sprouts and the seed soaker lend the bread a moist crumb and a long shelf-life.
The simple and hassle-free preparation of the bread and the use of a baking pan make this an approachable bread sure to bring wonderful results even for beginners.
For a dough weight of 2070g / 3 pieces, each 690g of dough
|200g||Rye flour Type 960/997||24%|
|200g||Ruchmehl or Whole grain wheat flour||24%|
|250g||Sprouted wheat grains|
(ca. 160g wheat grains & 90g water)
|250g||Sprouted rye grains|
(ca. 160g rye grains & 90g water)
(about 102% including the water content of the sprouts)
|200g||Toasted sunflower seeds||24%|
|200g||Rye flourType 960/997|
- Dissolve the starter in water and then mix with the rye flour until lump-free.
- Target dough temperature: 28-30°C
- Maturity time: 15-18 hours
|200g||Toasted sunflower seeds|
- Combine all of the ingredients and allow them to soak, covered for 10-12 hours.
- See here for instructions on making sprouts
Attetnion: If making sprouts is too complcated, you can substitute 160g of course milled wheat and rye. Before using in the main dough, soak them in about 250-300g of hot (60°C) water and allow to soak for 2-3 hours. When working on the dough it is possible that the moisture content will need to be corrected.
|ca. 250g||Ground wheat sprouts|
|ca. 250g||Ground rye sprouts|
- Mix together all ingredients on medium speed for 6-7 minutes. Should the dough be too firm, add a little water.
- After mixing the dough, let it mature for 45 minutes.
- Then fill the dough into the baking tin and smooth the surface with a moistened dough card.
- TIP: Add some sunflower seeds to the tin before filling with dough – this way the nuttiness of the bread is elevated even more.
- Cover and place in a warm spot to proof.
- Final proof of about 90-120 minutes
- Bake the bread at 230°C reduced to 200°C with steam.
- Release the steam after 5-7 minutes.
- Total bake time of 60 minutes