Wholegrain Spelt Bread with Sunflower Seeds
Spelt bread can also develop an even better aroma by adding rye sourdough. In addition to the aroma, the shelf-life and integrity of the crumb are improved. In order to enhance the nutty taste of the sunflower seeds, they are toasted in the oven beforehand.
For a dough weight of 1489g / 3 pieces, each 496g
- 90g Boiling water
- 60g Wholegrain spelt flour
- 5g Salt
Pour boiling water over the wholegrain spelt flour and salt and mix until lump-free in the mixer. Then store in the refrigerator at 5°C until ready to use.
- 180g Water 40°C
- 150g Rye flour Type 960
- 15g Starter
Stir together the starter, water, and rye flour until lump-free and let it mature for 12 hours. Target dough temperature of 27-28°C.
- 460g Wholegrain spelt flour
- 340g Water
- 155g Scald (Remove from the refrigerator 2-3 hours before mixing the bread)
- 345g Mature rye sourdough
- 150g Toasted sunflower seeds
- 20g Dried and finely ground leftover bread
- 10g Honey
- 6g Salt
- 3g Yeast
- Mix the pre-doughs and other ingredients on slow speed into a soft dough. Should the dough appear too firm, water can be added since a baking pan will be used (the fineness of the wholegrain spelt flour influences the amount of water absorption).
- Knead for 8 minutes slowly and 3 minutes quickly.
- Then cover the dough and let it mature for 15 minutes in the mixing bowl.
- Divide the dough as accustomed, work into a round and lay into the baking pan. If you would like, the dough can be brushed with water and coated in a seed mixture (sesame, sunflower, and flax seeds).
- Proof about 45-60 minutes
- Before baking, score the loaf down the middle and slide into the oven at 240°C with ample steam. After an initial baking time of 10 minutes, the baking temperature is reduced to 190°C.
- With a dough weight of 500g the baking time takes about 50-55 minutes.
Tip: If you want, you can replace the sunflower seeds with pumpkin seeds and 1-2 coarsely grated carrots.