Light Farmer’s Bread
To wrap up the year, I have one final recipe for you all: The Heller Bauer, or “light farmer.” Like the previous recipes, this one also consists of a pre-dough and a sourdough.
The pre-dough is made by mixing wheat flour and rye flour type 500 (also known as a white rye or light rye). This mixture leads to a fuller aroma. If you don’t have rye flour type 500, you can also use rye flour type 960.
For a dough weight of 1343g / 3 pieces, each 447g
- 200g wheat flour type 700
- 50g rye flour type 500
- 250g water (cold c. 5-10°C)
- 2g yeast
Mix all ingredients together and let sit covered at room temperature for 12 hours to ripen. If the predough matures too quickly (doubles in volume), place it in the refrigerator until you need to use it.
- 100g rye flour type 960
- 70g water
- 10g starter
Maturity time: 12-15 hours DT: 23-26°C
- 502g mature predough
- 180g foundation sour
- 400g wheat flour type 700
- 210g water
- 30g pork lard / butter
- 18g salt
- 3g yeast
- + bread spice as desired
- Mixing time: 8 minutes slowly and 3-4 minutes quickly
- Dough temperature 27-28°C
- After kneading the dough, let it rise covered in the bowl for 30 minutes.
- Then divide as desired and form into round loaves. Place each loaf in a floured proofing basket seamside-down and let proof covered.
- When it is 3/4 proofed (c. 45 minutes), tip the loaf out of the basket and place in an oven with strong steam that has been preheated to 250°C .
- After cracks have formed on the crust as desired, release the steam. Total duration of steam baking time: c. 5-8 minutes.
- To release the steam, crack open the oven door for 2-3 minutes.
- After the steam has been released, lower the temperature to 200°C and bake until well-browned.
- Total baking time: c. 45-50 minutes
“Lastly, I wish all readers a good start to the new year! May it be above all a healthy one!”