It’s been on the list for a long time and now finally for the blog. The smell of fresh baked garlic sticks will soon flow through many households. These are the absolute tops with the half-baked version- bake the frozen sticks for 2-3 minutes in an oven preheated to 240°C. Let stand for 15 minutes and then serve to your guests!!
Before you begin with the production of the dough, the garlic butter needs to be mixed and piped.
For this, 250g of soft butter, 6 garlic cloves, a pinch of salt and pepper and perhaps some finely chopped chives are mixed until smooth (not until whipped!). Then the garlic butter is filled into a piping bag with a tip size of 6-7mm and piped into 5-6cm long pads (at least 20 pads).
Then the piped butter-garlic sticks are hardened overnight in the refrigerator (those more spontaneous can also cool them for an hour in the freezer!)
For a dough weight of 1627g 20 pieces/ each 80g
Pre-dough Variation 1- Lievito Madre
|200g||Wheat Flour Type 700/550|
Dissolve the starter in the water and mix until lump-free in the mixer. Then allow to rise for 3-5 hours until doubled in volume.
Pre-dough Variation 2 – Biga
Dissolve the yeast in the cold water and mix slowly with the wheat flour in a mixer for 3-4 minutes. Then let rise for 12 hours at room temperature. If the Biga will sit for longer than 12 hours then it should be placed after the 12 hour rise in the refrigerator until further processing.
|800g||Wheat Flour Type 550/700|
|300g||Lievito Madre or Biga|
|15g||Malt or Honey|
- Knead all the ingredients together on slow for 5 minutes and on fast for 6 minutes. The dough must be kneaded into a supple dough.
- After mixing the dough should rise for 30 minutes
- Then weigh out 80g dough pieces and form into balls. Cover with plastic and allow to rise further for 30-45 minutes.
- Then roll the dough into ovals with rye flour and place on the work surface side-by-side. (See Video).
- After rolling out the dough pieces, fetch the piped garlic butter pads from the refrigerator and lay on the rolled out dough.
- Then press the garlic pads into the dough and roll them up with tension into sticks.
- The formed sticks are allowed to rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with water and coat with preferred seeds.
- Place on a baking sheet with gaps between.
- Final proof at room temperature for 30-40 minutes or in the refrigerator at 4°C for 12-15 hours.
- Bake the garlic sticks at 240°C with strong steam for 15-17 minutes.