24th day of Advent
for 1 Linzer Cake (diameter 23cm):
- 250g soft butter
- 120g powdered sugar
- 50g ground candied orange peel
- 10g vanilla sugar
- 2g cinnamon
- 1g salt
- 150g whole eggs (3)
- 150g finely grated and roasted hazelnuts
- 50g roasted hazelnuts, 2-4mm
- 200g cake crumbs
- 80g wheat flour
- 100g currant jam
- 20g sliced almonds
- Mix the butter with the powdered sugar, ground candied orange peel, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and salt until fluffy.
- Add the eggs on at a time, mixing to keep fluffy.
- Combine the hazelnuts, cake crumbs and wheat flour, and then mix this carefully into the butter mixture.
- Pour two thirds of the dough into a cake ring.
- Then top the dough with currant jam, so that the surface is evenly covered (leave a 2cm gap from the edge).
- Use the rest of the dough to make a round ring for the cake rim and a latticework center. Place atop the jam.
- Finally, sprinkle slivered almonds on the cake.
- Bake the Linzer Cake at 180°C / c. 35-40 minutes.
If you are making this on the 24th day of advent, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas! Your Dietmar