New Year’s Cake with Punch or Glühwein
For all readers there is still a quick and delicious cake recipe before New Year’s Eve. The dough is prepared from a sponge, a creamy butter mixture and some spelt flour. To refine the cake, some orange peel and chocolate chips were added.
After baking, the cake is properly soaked with punch or mulled wine and served as a dessert.
For a dough weight of 814g
= 2 small Panettone forms (diameter 11cm) or 1 large cake pan
- 150g Wheat flour Type 700 or Spelt flour Type 680
- 120g warme Milk
- 10g Yeast
Mix the ingredients and allow to rise for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- 125g Cultured butter
- 30g Brown sugar
- 30g Raw marzipan (optional!!)
- 4g Salt
- 50g Whole egg (1)
- 20g Yolk (1)
Mix the butter, sugar, and salt until creamed and then slowly stir in the egg and yolk.
- 280g Mature sponge
- 259g Creamy butter mixture
- 110g Wheat flour Type 700 or Spelt flour Type 630
- 15g Cocoa (sieve with the flour)
- + Stollen spice to round out the taste
Briefly mix all in the mixer and:
- 100g Candied orange
- 50g Chocolate chips
- After the candied orange and chocolate chips are folded in, the dough is immediately poured into the preferred cake form (the dough will rise about ⅓ of its volume during the bake)
- After a proof of about 45-60 minutes, sprinkle the cake batter with butter streusel and bake at 180°C for about 40-45 minutes.
- If the cake is made in a pan, it should cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before turning it out – that way the cake will stabilize and it will remove from the pan easier.
- After cooling, the cake is doused in punch or mulled wine. The moistening of the cake is done in multiple pours so that the liquid can be absorbed better.
“To all readers a happy and healthy New Year”