Wheat Sourdough Bread
Who doesn’t like a simple, failproof sourdough wheat bread for everyday! Prepare your sourdough in the morning, knead the main dough in the evening, and bake the loaves the following morning.
In order to achieve a strong sourdough, we mix in a little finely ground whole grain flour. This not only makes the sourdough more active, but also helps the main dough reach its working point more quickly.
For a dough weight of 1802g / 3 pieces, 600g each
|Wheat type 700 (20%)
|Whole wheat flour (5%)
Completely dissolve the starter in the water, then add the wheat and whole wheat flours and mix until there are no more lumps. Let it rise for 8-10 hours at 26-28°C.
|Mature wheat sourdough
|Wheat flour type 700 (75%)
- Dissolve the wheat sourdough in the water and mix in the wheat flour until no lumps are left.
- Cover the mixture and let it autolyze for 45 minutes.
- Add the salt and mix it at a slow speed setting for 8-10 minutes. As soon as the dough starts to fall away from the side of the mixing bowl, knead the mixture for 1-2 more minutes at a fast speed.
- Place the dough in an oiled container and fold it after 60 and 120 minutes.
- The dough will only be further worked once it has gained an additional 30-40% in volume.
- Divide the dough into three equally sized pieces and fold each one into the middle from all four sides. Let the dough rest seam-side down for 20 minutes.
- Finally, each piece of dough is turned over, folded from left and right into the center and then rolled from top to bottom with light tension (https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Q49oHpVsu/)
- Place each shaped loaf seam-side down into a floured proofing basket.
- The final fermentation takes place in the refrigerator at 4-5°C for 12-18 hours.
- The shaped loaves are baked in a preheated oven at 245°C with plenty of steam. After an initial 5-minutes of baking, lower the oven temperature to 230°C and bake until well browned.
- Total baking time c. 30-35 minutes